Thursday, November 8, 2007

Tour of Daejeon- Part One

If you know me, you know I'm a genius. Even if you don't know me, I'm sure you've figured it out.

That I left my camera in St. Louis proves nothing.

*repeatedly bangs head against wall*

So while I sort out the Great Camera Debacle, here are some photos for you to enjoy, courtesy of the brilliant Laura Parks, who hails from that really big country just north of the United States and has a laugh that you just can't help laughing along with.

We'll begin our tour today with the big picture. The apartments in Korea are ginormous. They had to rebuild quickly after the war, and of course there are a lot of people inhabiting limited space here. Hence the buildings that go on and on and on. And on. And on.



Now we'll move on to everyday sights and sounds. Here we have Downtown Daejeon. It's chock full of restaurants, bars, and all the shopping you could want. Ok, I admit I said that with sarcasm, but in all honesty, it's a fun and active place and I often take the subway there to spend a few hours just walking around.


Here we find some children sitting near the market. Aren't they precious?



And finally, we arrive at a game of jump rope, that universally loved children's past-time. Except...wait.....what? Those aren't children. Those are men! Full grown men!!!!
Oh my. Fascinating. Well, as Laura says, a man isn't a real man until he's jumped rope.




Are you hungry? Perhaps we should stop at a market and pick up a snack. Here, try some dried squid.


Or some dried anchovies.


You seem tired. I think that's enough for today. Thanks for stopping by! Come back around this weekend, there's plenty more to see and do in wonderful Daejeon!

4 comments:

Gregg said...

Things I've learned from today's post:

Thing 1 -- You're awesome. (at least that's what it says right there below your photo.)

Thing 2 -- You're a genius. (although this is just hearsay at this point, because I don't know you, and haven't had time to figure it out for myself. yet. but I do know that you write really goodly and are funny..as..hayull! (I don't know how to spell that to get the emphasis correct.)

Thing 3 -- You used the word "hence." Niiiice.

Thing 4 -- Downtown Daejeon is filled with many signs I can't read. (and I can barely spell "Daejeon" without checking back half a dozen times to make sure my vowels are in the correct order.)

Thing 5 -- I would opt for the squid over the anchovies if I had to choose. But right now I kinda hope I don't ever have to choose.

Thing 6 -- I, *sigh* am not a real man. While I may have jumped rope at the age of 17 years, 10 months (can't remember back that many decades)...I'm quite positive I haven't participated in any rope jumping on this side of my 18th birthday. I feel so inadequate. I might try to change that this weekend. (if I do, there will be photos.)

Thing 7 -- Yikes! I've been linked. Or blogrolled. Or...whatever. Oh, the pressure.


That's a lotta learnin' in one blog entry.

JJ said...

1. I am awesome. I wouldn't lie about that.

2. Nor would I lie about being a genius.

3. Hence is a much more sophisticated word than "moist."

4. Not to mess you up any further, but Daejeon used to be Taejeon. It is still Taejeon on some maps, websites, ect. (Korea is also sometimes spelled Corea. I'm not sure, but I've heard this is because when Japan invaded Corea, they (being the Japanese)changed the name to Korea so that they(again being the Japanese) would come first in the alphabet. Some Koreans are starting to reclaim their Corean heritage.)

5. The squid is surprisingly fun to eat. It's tough and chewy- I'm sure there's some deeper meaning about life to be found in that statement but I'm not up for it right now.

6. If you post pictures of you jump -roping, I will....I will....I don't know. But I'll do something really crazy.

7. Tag! You're it. It took me 2 hours to figure out how to put links up- stupid Hangul.

Good learnin. Learnin's the fun.

TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

I said it moments ago elsewhere. And I'll say it again now.

Mmm.. hot roasted squid.

I think I've read this before.

TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

P.S. In hopes that our paths do cross come next Labor Day, i ask two things of you.

1. A hi and a hug.
2. A package of hot, roasted squid.

Beyond that, we'll play it by ear.