Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Tour of Daejeon- Part Deux

Welcome back!

As you can see, I'm in quite a bit of pain from spilling hot tea water all over my arm, so the tour today will be short and sweet.

***The photos today are courtesy of the lovely Laura Parks, the extraordinary Paul Wilson (who hopefully won't be mad that I stole some of his pics), and some other random people who also hopefully won't be mad that I "borrowed" their pics. We're all one big happy family...right? And just so you know, I have seen all of these things for myself, except for the t-shirt.***

We're on our way to visit Lucky Strike for Halloween, but there's plenty to see on the way!

Have you eaten? If not, we can stop in here and you can grab a sandwich.


Perhaps you're in the market for some new undies, YES?
"Didn't you see my panty and brassiere? Well... is that yours? No! How about this one? It's mine!! My underwear! Why don't go to yes? Yes? Yes!! Yes let's go to Yes!!!"


Hey, look!
Check out that guy's shirt! Koreans love putting random words together. I love it too. And of course, no shirt is complete without dancing smurfs.


It's getting darker out now, and as you can see, Korea is second only to Vegas when it comes to neon lights. Here's one of several Sexy Lady Bars.
The papers all over the street are advertisements for bars, clubs, and restaurants.
Establishments hire people to walk around and drop brochures on the ground, and sometimes they even drive around in trucks throwing the shit out the window.



If you aren't having luck at Sexy Lady, go for broke at Ho Bar.
If you're REALLY lucky, you'll find Cute Candice there.



We've finally arrived at our destination, Lucky Strike. Do you see those bills plastered all over the over the walls and ceiling? Think of all the beer they could buy....

Meet my friends Tremendous and Lindsey. What? You want to to take our picture? Well...ok. Lauren, what are you doing? You want me to wear what? Bunny ears? Sigh.....ok. I'm ready for a picture now!


Oh wow. We got here just in time. Here's what you just missed. He takes a glass and stacks it on top of another glass, then stacks another glass and another. He fills up the top glass until it overflows, and then he lights the alcohol on fire. The burning liquid continues to flow down the side of the glasses until it fills the glass on the bottom, which provides ample opportunity for the bartender to light his cigarette off of the fire, and then when the bottom glass is full, he lets the alcohol burn out and hands the delicious nectar to the birthday girl. You might be a bit worried, as of course this is a fire hazard in a crowded bar that only has one exit.
But it's also one of the coolest things I've ever seen, not to mention that the resulting cocktail is tangy and refreshing.



Since we're here, you might as well stick around and have a drink. We'll continue the tour in a few days.
Kambe!!!!!!


10 comments:

TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

Ask and you shall receive!

Ok, you've convinced me. Send me a ticket, and I'll come for a visit. You can be the tour guide. I want one of those fire drinks, and some hot roasted squid.

Oh, and a visit to the ho bar.

Gregg said...

Things I've learned from today's post:

Thing 1 -- You're awesome. (it still says that right there below your photo. flagrant self-promotion, I say.)

Thing 2 -- Hope your arm isn't scalded too badly, and that you were still able to enjoy some tea.

Thing 3 -- "People Baking Toast" would be a cool name for a blog. If you are, in fact, a blogger who eats a lot of toast.

Thing 4 -- YES!

Thing 5 -- White silhouetted Smurfs just don't have the same oomph as when they're blue. (and it takes a long time before you can be confident enough to spell the word "silhouetted" without looking it up. I think I've reached that point.)

Thing 6 -- I seriously want to find a job in which the main responsibility is dropping stuff on the ground and throwing shit out of the window of a truck. I better update my resumé.

Thing 7 -- Getting really lucky at the Ho Bar sounds like an evening worth blogging about.

Thing 8 -- I wish I had enough money to wallpaper my walls and ceilings with it. (maybe if I used pennies.) Mmm....beeeer.

Thing 9 -- People who agree to wear bunny ears when posing for group photos are cool people.

Thing 10 -- I bet that bartender gets some pretty good tips.


Bonus Thing I Already Knew Before This Post But Hadn't Mentioned Yet:

You've got good taste in blog templates.


Thanks again for all the learnin', JJ! I swear I can actually feel myself getting smarter. :O)

JJ said...

Not only will we drink fire, eat squid, and visit the ho bar, we will climb a mountain with girls in mini-skirts and high heels. We will play Chicken with the motorbikes on sidewalks. We will go to a punk show and make fun of the bands' fannypacks. I'm telling you, the fun never ends.

JJ said...

Gregg-

1. I am *still* awesome. That's why the caption remains. Should I ever stop being awesome, I will change it accordingly.

2. It hurt like a bitch, and I drank the tea but I was scared of it. I didn't drink tea at all yesterday, which is unusual. However, today I came and conquered and drank my tea.

3. This is true.

4. YES! YES! O GOD YES!!!!!

5. That is freaking funny because in the first draft, I actually wrote "white silhouetted Smurfs" AND it took me forever to get through 'silhouette.' I obviously ended up scrapping it, which pissed me off because I had spent so much time figuring out Silhouette.
Eerie....

6. I can hook you up if you're interested. Or just look in the phone book under "F*ck Earth."

7. Stay tuned...

8. I wish I had enough money that I could paper you with it. That would be awesome. Then I would have a friend made of money.

9. Thank you. I much prefer 'cool people' to 'complete nerd who is highly susceptible to peer pressure.' (And if you must know, I figured out Silhouette much quicker than I figured out Susceptible.)

10. If tipping existed here, I'm sure he would. I tip here and there, but it's not usual practice, and some are actually offended by it.
However, he probably gets a lot of friendly touching.

Bonus- I was thinking the same thing about you......

TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

What I learned today - well quite awhile ago actually.

1. You are an internet flirt! And I dig ya for it! Flirtin' with all the boys and such... So bad, so bad.

Yet so good!

JJ said...

Me? Really? You think I'm an internet flirt?

There may be some truth to that.

Gregg said...

For the record...I think I would have known "susceptible" before "silhouetted." Although now that I've spent this much time obsessing over the word, it's ingrained in my brain.

The sneaky soft silent c's as found in "susceptible" are not intimidating to me. (and apparently...neither is a drastic overuse of alliteration.)

Also...if you can't get me a job with "F*ck Earth," please see if there are any bartender positions open. Friendly touching would be swell.

TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

It takes Extreme Sexiness to know Extreme Sexiness.

Hubba hubba!

Jeffrey said...

When Ridley Scott made Blade Runner back in '81, I don't think his dystopian vision was supposed to be inspirational.

Yet Korea seems to have taken the look of that film to heart.

The fact that there are masked wrestlers walking the streets makes the place all the more alluring.

TWORIVERSWALRUS said...

I know where I've been. But where have you been? Are you still awesome?